PROsumer.NET - Networking European Technology Platforms addressing Design-based Consumer Goods Industries and Related Research and Technology Fields
PROsumer.NET is an European networking and roadmapping project, bringing together 5 European Technology Platforms across consumer goods sectors such as textiles and clothing, footwear, sports goods and wood‐based products as well as the ManuFuture platform covering the related manufacturing technologies.
The project was initiated and is following in the footsteps of the 1st European Conumer Goods Research Conference organised by the same stakeholders in February 2010. The draft research and innovation roadmap resulting from the "European Seminar on Consumer Goods Research, which already was conducted in Brussels on 22nd of June 2011, will be further developed in much more breadth and depth by the 2‐years PROsumer.NET project.
Important questions to be addressed include:
- Which are the common opportunities and challenges encountered by the European design‐based consumer goods industries and how can a joint research and technology roadmap support a more strategic development of these industries in Europe?
- How do societal developments (globalisation, climate change concerns, ageing etc), market trends (faster product cycles, demand for green/healthy/ethical products) or emerging business models (mass customisation, consumer co‐design, product‐service concepts) drive the need for more research and innovation?
- How does the EU Commission support research and innovation in this field today and how could this be improved in the future?
- Which new concepts and technologies are currently under development and what is their potential for industry adoption?
- How can a widespread adoption of disruptive business models and technologies change the face of the industry and alter the competitive dynamics prevailing today including a renaissance of high added value manufacturing of consumer goods in Europe?
This seminar prepared the ground for the roadmapping work of the PROsumer.NET project over the next 2 years and represents a first occasion to connect and network with industry and research experts from across several consumer goods sectors, also beyond those covered by the 5 involved technology platforms. Contribute to the development of a research and innovation roadmap and related EU policy recommendations for the European design‐based consumer goods industries!